Icon “The Theotokos of Vladimir” (Our Lady of Vladimir)
Possibly the most beloved icon of the Virgin Mary in the world, this tenderness style icon now in the Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow is attributed to the hand of St. Luke the Evangelist and was by tradition painted from life on a board from the table that the Virgin, St. Joseph the Betrothed, and Jesus at times took their meals.
Originally this icon was called the Virgin of Tenderness. In a.d. 450 it was taken from Jerusalem to Constantinople and in the 12th century was transferred near Kiev and placed in the Devici Monastery, Vyshgorod.Icon has been repainted several times, lastly in 1919.
The iconiscreated on a traditional wooden base with set oflevkas, a chalk-based natural glue, and a painted background. The icon is printed on a silk canvas and the final details are hand-painted by the iconographer. High-quality icon, with bright colors and the icon, seems like a hand-painted icon. Upon completion of the transcription, a few finishing touches are incorporated following special techniques of the St. Pantaleon monastery. Icons that are made in our workshop all come with a certificate bearing our seal, attesting to their originality and the authenticity of our technology. Only a certificate and seal can be a guarantee of the high and long-standing quality of our icons.